This 2-day workshop is directed at those working in mental health, community services or those whose work brings them in contact with individuals who have a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder. Drawing from the evidence base of Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, Mindfulness and Somatic Trauma Therapy this workshop is an interactive two days aimed at providing participants with a range of strategies for themselves as well as the individuals participants are looking to support.
Some knowledge of health and community services is required for this workshop. Feel free to contact our staff on 03 9090 7221 to discuss whether this workshop is suitable for you!
Day 1 – OVERVIEW AND WHAT WORKS
- Overview of BPD & other personality disorders
- Overview of Management approaches for BPD
- Gaining the commitment of an individual with BPD to engage in service sand treatment
- Teaching life skills including distress tolerance
- Middle Path Skills for Staff: validation, behaviourism and moving away from black and white thinking
Day 2 – STRATEGIES FOR WORKERS
- Field Mentoring in the management of BPD
- Phone calls and coaching when an individual is in crisis
- Specific issues for management of BPD (past experiences and brain storming session)
- Psychological First Aid: supporting staff
- Implementing a BPD Management Policy and supported decision making
- Documentation: what do you need to record in your notes?
- Skills and qualities of individuals who successfully work with individuals with emotion dysregulation/BPD
Who should attend?
Individuals and teams from a range of backgrounds who work in community-based services, including youth, family, homeless, aged, welfare, alcohol and substance, and disability. This 2 day workshop suitable for carers, peer consultants and community based workers!
2 Day Workshop (9.00am – 4.00pm)
Dates & Locations